One of the amusing things about having a WordPress is looking at all the statistics for your blog. So, for instance even though I have not updated this blog in a littler over six months or so, I can giggle at how many hits my blog has gotten during this hiatus.
Of course the primary way that my blog has gotten hits during this time is through search engines. My blog contains multiple posts about women in video games from a feminist perspective, and it is always strange to me at how many people stumble across my blog by searching for something like “tomb raider boobs” or “experience of sex video”.
In honor of some of these strange hits, here is a list ranking my top 10 search engine results:
- “Anita Sarkeesian” – this search term isn’t surprising. During the tumultuous period of summer 2012, Ms. Sarkeesian upset the internet through her “Tropes vs. Women in Gaming” Kickstarter. Since then she has produced her first youtube video and a tumblr dedicated to damsels in distress.
- “Felicia Day” – It was actually surprising to me that Anita Sarkeesian beat out Felicia day by almost double the hits. However, Felicia has marketed herself veyr well and it is easier to follow her via her own Facebook, Tumblr, twitter, Geek and Sundry than it is Anita. In most recent Felicia Day news, she wore a Lying Cat shirt (character from Saga comic by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples) on her guest appearance on Supernatural
- “Tomb Raider 2013” This has been a much hyped game, and finally released last month. People have been enjoying the heck out of it! Once the price drops a bit, I will get around to playing it and giving my own analysis, but for now you can watch Conan play:
- “Drakerider Review” – I reviewed Drakerider on a whim when the first chapter hit iOs. Apparently reviewing iOs games gets your blog hits! Something to remember if you ever want to make money.
- “Skylanders Giants” – I never actually wrote directly about Skylanders Giants, which is why this hit is humorous. Since I never managed to obtain all the original Skylanders, I didn’t want to buy Skylanders Giants and then feel even more pressure to get them all! I’m slightly obsessive about collecting. Here’s a small portion of my Skylanders collection (along with some TMNT and Legos).
- “Tomb Raider Boobs” – Again, clearly I write from a feminist perspective, so I can only hope that when people accidentally check out my blog posts about Tomb Raider games, that they might learn something! Although the lesson they probably learn is to google image search.
- “Felicia Day Hot“ - No duh Felicia Day is hot. Just look at the picture on #2. However, she’s also extremely talented, engaging, smart, productive, assertive, a gamer, etc. She is more than just her looks! Right now I’m really enjoying the productions from Geek and Sundry. TableTop has to be one of the best shows they make, and I’ve spent too much money buying the games that they play. I’m also the Lord of Catan.
- “Anita Sarkeesian hot” – Again duh. Do you know what makes her hot? HER BRAIN! Also her body does conform to Western beauty standards – but her brain and talent man. That’s what you should be focusing on. Next year I want to get “Anita Sarkeesian’s hot brain” as a search term. I leave this in your capable hands readers.
- “Bayonetta 2” – Since I wrote this post, not a whole lot of new information has come out about Bayonetta 2. The Wii U has been released to dismal sales, and there is still no release date for Bayonetta 2. However, there is a development trailer:
- “Felicia Day Anita Sarkeesian” – Okay okay, I get it by now. Anita Sarkeesian and Felicia day are hot internet personalities and people want to see and read more about them. However, there are other awesome women of the internet/gaming world that equally deserve out attention! In the upcoming weeks, I will do my best to highlight them to you
So, those were my top 10 hits for the past almost year. What are some of your funniest (or weirdest) blog hits?